GROUP PROJECT - BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
2017 TO PRESENT
Founded Group Project, a software company that makes data-driven tools to understand your team's abilities, and bring out their best work every day. Group Project's tools give employees a voice about what they can do, empower every manager to be a great manager, and help leaders make smart, data-driven decisions about their people.
Developing new data models that re-envision how businesses define projects, understand talent, and match people to work.
CONSULTANT + ADVISOR - NEW YORK CITY + ELSEWHERE
MARCH 2016 TO PRESENT
I mostly work with early- and growth-stage companies, and emerging groups within larger organizations. I help them become operationally high-functioning and build clarity of purpose and process as they grow into new stages. I consult on three main areas - 1. business and growth strategy, 2. standing up, scaling up, and clarifying business and people operations - tools, culture, practices, and 3. product consulting - strategy/concept, research, roadmapping, and management. As a startup founder, former VP of Product + Ops, and ex-Googler - I use operational expertise to deliver fully-realized solutions that are both considered and nimble (never overwrought or myopic).
Past consulting projects have included:
Innovation and people operations strategies for mature and early-stage companies in emerging markets
Extensive market research and positioning, talent strategy, product strategy, and pitch materials development for startups in home delivery automation, digital media, and fashion
Business strategy, product strategy, and service design advising for startups in technology, agencies, and consultancies
+ Consulting Details
BUSINESS STRATEGY + PEOPLE OPERATIONS
- I help early- and growth-stage companies, or developing groups within larger organizations, become operationally high-functioning and build clarity of purpose and process as they grow. I take a dynamic approach, keeping teams nimble while improving efficiency.
- I stand up operations including strategy and tools across organizational design, people ops, goalsetting and productivity, and overall process optimization.
- I refine overall business strategy including go-to-market strategy, product and service design, and change management from one operational stage to the next.
- Through my own company, I have deep expertise in HR/people analytics, skills-based profiling, and people management techniques. I upskill managers and leaders and create people tools/data strategies inside companies.
- As a product leader, I've led design, build, and launch for technology products and service offerings. Past work includes product concept development, UX research and concepting, market and competitive research and analysis, and agile product management and prioritization.
- I'm a systems thinker and people person - always identifying the underlying dynamics in teams, tools, and decisions to make great judgements and set smart priorities. As an articulate and compelling communicator, I'm able to get stkaeholders on the same page and drive shared understanding of critical information like user and market insights, goals, and priorities. I'm highly conscientious where it matters - I believe great process is part of great delivery. And I genuinely think it's fun to do deep, thoughtful product work - and bring that positivity and presence to every team I work on.
POSITIONING + PITCHING
- I consult on positioning and pitching narrative development for nascent-to-growing products and companies. Expertise in refining audience definition, defining brand perspectives and differentiation, developing consumer-, partner-, and investor-facing narratives, and honing decks and collateral for sales and investment.
LATERAL LABS - BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
FOUNDING TEAM, CHIEF INNOVATION OFFICER
Founding team at Lateral Labs, a global network of innovation hubs where diverse minds collaborate across disciplines to create tomorrow's world. Based in New York, we do much of our work in emerging markets, stimulating innovation through our complementary programs for startups, mature companies, and local community members.
BUSTER - BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
Developed and distributed original outlook on the future of transportation, including Buster's role in changing group transportation with data, as part of a larger shift toward technology-enabled shared transportation and communities in motion.
Advised on strategic product, marketing, operational, and business decisions.
VP PRODUCT + OPERATIONS
APRIL 2015 TO APRIL 2016
Led full UX redesign and build of product including complex consumer travel booking tools, vendor booking marketplace and management interface, pricing and matching algorithms, and marketing and support pages. Managed agile product development and strategy from beta product to mature v3.
Designed and launched first-in-industry conversational itinerary-building tool (released March 2016).
Introduced and managed internal operations frameworks including company goal-setting, hiring protocol, culture practices and workplace policies, employee guide, and everyday processes. Advised CEO/founder on core business strategy.
Overhauled messaging including company core narratives, brand voice and style, all site and promotional copywriting, and development of portfolio of best-in-industry original marketing imagery.
Oversaw early partnerships strategy and implementation.
GOOGLE, INC - NEW YORK, NEW YORK
FOUNDING TEAM, NEWS LAB AT GOOGLE
AUGUST 2014 TO FEBRUARY 2015
Part of founding team for Google's News Lab, which collaborates with journalists and entrepreneurs to build the future of media.
Supported strategy development, led team brand and narrative development, and managed budget for cross-functional start-up team focused on how Google works with newsrooms.
GOOGLE+ MEDIA PARTNERSHIPS MANAGER
OCTOBER 2012 TO AUGUST 2014
Led onboarding of the top 200 US media outlets (with focus on publishers) onto the Google+ social platform from its early days.
Worked with top news outlets (e.g. The New York Times, Hearst, Vogue, NPR, Mashable, New York Magazine) at executive level to create innovative reporting projects with Google+ tools and increase Google+ platform engagement.
Created the first enterprise toolkit for Google+ publishing, the Google+ Partner Playbook and instructional GIF series for brands.
Led #Pridecast campaign and team from concept to execution, making New York's Pride March more accessible online. Program resulted in 60K+ user actions across platforms, positive press, 180M+ social impressions.
Pitched TIME partnership and handled creative development and technical challenges to deliver #MyBeautifulEarth program - a crowdsourced photo mosaic celebrating Earth Day. Program reached 1M+ site hits, 22K original social posts, 150M+ social impressions, saw positive press, and was promoted on the Google.com homepage.
Led Vogue partnership for Hangout series on CFDA Fashion Fund featured on Vogue.com over 6 weeks.
Led partnership for Mashable’s highly successful journalistic crowdsourcing innovation project, creating a “Digital Bill of Rights” on Google+ and Google Docs tools. Announcement saw 5000 shares, and final “Bill” saw 3200 shares and 50+ collaborators.
COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS, GOOGLE+ MARKETING
NOVEMBER 2011 TO OCTOBER 2012
Led Google+ media outreach in NYC. Promoted to national Media Lead and national Strategy and Operations Team for team of 50+ after 7 months.
+ Earlier Experience
CORCORAN SUNSHINE MARKETING GROUP - NEW YORK, NEW YORK
ON-SITE SALES + MARKETING ASSISTANT
NOVEMBER 2010 TO NOVEMBER 2011
- Independently initiated and completed development of new comprehensive On-site Assistant handbook and training guide for use across 20+ sites comprising multi-billion-dollar condo portfolio.
- Supported creative and press communications, marketing event planning, and CMS testing and launch.
CAMPAIGN, MAIL AND DATA, INC. - FALLS CHURCH, VIRGINIA
SPECIAL PROJECTS MANAGER
JULY - OCTOBER 2010
- Beta tested and advised on campaign fundraising management software in development phase.
- Created instructional and troubleshooting guide for software targeting non-profits and political campaigns, and supported account manager software training.
PRINCE OF WALES INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS LEADERS FORUM - LONDON, ENGLAND
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY RESEARCH INTERN
SUMMER 2007, SUMMER 2008
NORTH AMERICA TEAM RESEARCH INTERN
- Medium: The Google Memo is Google for Women at Google, 2017
- Medium: Let's talk about manipulative products, 2015
- Google Politics & Elections Blog: Take Part in MSNBC’s Hangout On Air Series about Marriage Equality, 2013
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA - CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA
MAJOR: FRENCH / MINOR: FOREIGN AFFAIRS
GRADUATED SPRING 2010
Dean’s List, 8 semesters
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, Member, Fall 2007-Spring 2010
National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Member, Fall 2007-Spring 2010
Alternative Spring Break – Treasure Beach, Jamaica, Site Leader, Spring 2009; Participant, Spring 2008
Delta Delta Delta, Beta Sigma Chapter, Licensing Chair, 2009; Member, Spring 2007 - Spring 2010
COURS DE CIVILISATION FRANÇAISE DE LA SORBONNE - PARIS, FRANCE
FRENCH LANGUAGE SUMMER SESSION, 2008
UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD - OXFORD, ENGLAND
UVA IN OXFORD SUMMER PROGRAM, 2007
CULTURE + OPERATIONS STRATEGY
PEOPLE OPERATIONS TOOLKIT DESIGN
TEAM MANAGEMENT + MENTORSHIP
A/B TESTING + DATA-DRIVEN DECISION-MAKING
COPY WRITING + EDITING
MARKET RESEARCH + ANALYSIS
BASIC CODING KNOWLEDGE
AUDIENCE + COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Activities + Interests
I'm an avid reader (primarily of fiction), an experienced flying trapeze artist and an intermediate climber. I have boundless energy for dinner parties and flower arranging. I spend a lot of my personal time on interior design and gardening (rooftop - I live in Brooklyn). I've never spent an unhappy moment in hiking boots. I’m from Northern Virginia with family ties to Mississippi. When I do karaoke, it's mostly Elvis and Lily Allen impressions. The cause I get the most excited about is improving education, and I believe in learning every day.